GRENFELL Tower survivors have demanded “urgent action” to rehouse them in time for Christmas.
Four out of five displaced households are still without a home following the devastating blaze that killed 71 people almost six months ago on June 14.
Currently 103 households from the west London block remain in hotel rooms, a further 11 are in serviced apartments and four are staying with friends, Kensington & Chelsea Council confirmed.
The local authority was accused of making “one broken promise after another” having previously expressed confidence that every survivor would be out of emergency accomodation by Christmas.
Shahin Sadafi, chairman of Grenfell United — an elected body set up by survivors and bereaved relatives — said: “First it was three weeks, then six months now they are saying a year.
“We are talking about people who have been through the traumatic events and have lost so much, stuck in hotel rooms and make-do accommodation.
“It’s been six months and we’re now just a fortnight away from Christmas. It’s not too late to put this right but it needs urgent action now.”
A heated public meeting of the scrutiny committee that oversees the Grenfell Tower response on Tuesday night saw the local authority attacked by former residents.
Tiago Alves, a 20-year-old who lived on the 13th floor of Grenfell Tower, told the meeting: “You are trying to eat away at us slowly, slowly, slowly, in an attempt to break us up.”
Deputy council leader and cabinet member for housing Kim Taylor-Smith admitted rehousing had been “desperately slow” due to a lack of houses to offer survivors.