THE PEOPLE'S DAILY
FIGHTING FUND
YOU'VE RAISED:
£5023
WE NEED:
£12977
8 Days Remaining

Jul
2017
Friday 14th
posted by Morning Star in Britain

AT LEAST one survivor of the Grenfell Tower disaster was diagnosed with cyanide poisoning.

BBC 2’s Newsnight programme said medical papers showed that 12-year-old Luana Gomes was diagnosed with “smoke inhalation injury” and “cyanide poisoning” following the blaze.

Her mother and sister were also treated for the risk of cyanide poisoning at King’s College Hospital where they were put into medically induced comas and given a cyanide antidote.

It is believed that the burning of insulation or plastic cladding during the fire may have released the highly toxic gas.

Luana’s mother Andreia Gomes was seven months pregnant at the time of the fire. She lost her unborn son.

Expressing her anger towards those responsible for choosing cheaper and unsafe cladding on the tower, Ms Gomes said: “You just killed my son.

“If it was in a normal situation, I could have gone out. And he was seven months. He could have survived. But because of the conditions, he passed away.”

The insulation in the Grenfell cladding was highly combustible and when it burned produced both carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide.




Advertisement