CIVIL service union PCS are considering a legal challenge over redundancy pay cuts accusing the government of a “despicable act of bad faith,” said yesterday.
The union has responded to an announcement that ministers will impose changes to the Civil Service compensation scheme today even though a consultative ballot of 160,000 members will not open until next Monday.
PCS had called on the Cabinet Office to allow time to organise the ballot, which is due to close on November 28, so members could consider the final offer however the request was rejected.
The union said it had been “shut out” of negotiations after it refused to enter talks over what it called the “outrageous” pre-conditions imposed by the government.
PCS accused the government of wanting to get rid of workers “on the cheap.”
Previous cuts to the redundancy scheme imposed in 2010 were described by then Cabinet Officer minister Francis Maude MP as “fair, affordable and sustainable.”
PCS general secretary Mark Serwotka said: “This is a despicable act of bad faith against its own workforce by a government that, after shutting us out of talks, is now imposing more cuts so soon after saying the system was sustainable and affordable.
“We quite reasonably requested more time to be able to consult our members, so the refusal to allow this imposition is an unnecessary and spiteful insult to them. We will be fighting these changes politically and we are considering legal action.”