US REPUBLICAN presidential hopeful Donald Trump has called for all Muslims to be barred from entering the country.
The billionaire property tycoon’s latest outburst of hatred on Monday drew condemnation from around the world.
Reading from a press statement released earlier that day at an evening campaign rally in South Carolina, Mr Trump demanded a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.”
He said the ban should apply to both immigrants and tourists until “until our country’s representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.”
“Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life,” he said.
He warned that without drastic action, “it’s going to get worse and worse, you’re going to have more World Trade Centres.”
The favourite for the Republican presidential candidacy is no stranger to controversy. Earlier in his campaign he called Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists, also claiming that terrorists were infiltrating the US among them.
Mr Trump’s latest inflammatory utterances come amid an atmosphere of heightened Islamophobia, as 30 state governors have refused to accept refugees from war-torn Syria following the Paris terror attacks.
On Monday 12 refugees — including six children — were due to arrive in Texas, which had fought bitterly to oppose the federal government’s resettlement plan.