THE PEOPLE'S DAILY
FIGHTING FUND
YOU'VE RAISED:
£5023
WE NEED:
£12977
14 Days Remaining

Jan
2016
Wednesday 13th
posted by Morning Star in Britain

A HUGE majority of Merseyrail passengers are opposed to plans to get rid of more than 200 onboard guards in making trains driver-only operated, it was revealed yesterday.

Nearly 80 per cent of fare-payers on Merseyside gave a big thumbs-down to the plans that would make guards redundant and cited concerns over safety in an Opinium poll commissioned by the RMT union.

Operating company Merseytravel should “heed the views of the people,” said union general secretary Mick Cash, as 98 per cent of those surveyed currently feel unsafe using the network.

More than 66 per cent of poll respondents and three-quarters of people over 55 said they would feel even less safe without the guards on duty.

Mr Cash said: “This survey should tell Merseytravel loud and clear that Merseyrail passengers want a properly trained guard on every train.

“But they should already know that because their own report last year underlined the importance of passenger security and the role of the guard.”

RMT and its sister unions “will not accept the dilution of safety” and the loss of more than 200 skilled guards’ jobs, he said.




Advertisement