THE PEOPLE'S DAILY
FIGHTING FUND
YOU'VE RAISED:
£10232
WE NEED:
£7768
5 Days Remaining

May
2016
Tuesday 10th
posted by Joana Ramiro in Britain

WOMEN’S campaigners demanded action yesterday after Sussex Police let a man who admitted uploading revenge porn walk away with a caution.

The man made full admissions to posting online, without consent, two sexual images taken with consent during a relationship, the force said.

There was evidence of his victimisation of several women, including a 15-year-old whose pictures were taken from Facebook and edited to include sexual imagery before being uploaded again.

“A caution is not enough. This man is clearly dangerous,” said Women’s Aid chief executive Polly Neate.

“He has committed serious abuse against multiple women, abuse that will have a profound impact upon all of them and he should be treated accordingly.”

But police argued the caution fitted “the national framework for out-of-court disposals.”

Local Tory MP Caroline Ansell felt the “full force of the law does not appear to have been applied” in the case.

“I am concerned that the perpetrator in these offences was only given a caution and I have spoken with Eastbourne’s police commander to express those concerns,” she said.

“Since last year it has been a crime to share private sexual photographs or videos without the subject’s consent in an attempt to thwart this so-called revenge porn problem, so it is a real shame the full force of the law does not appear to have been applied in this case.”

Ms Neate said the case was a good example of what women have to go through when confronted with the criminal justice system.

“Research by Women’s Aid into online abuse found that for a third of women threats made online were then carried out in real life,” she said.




Advertisement