THE BERLIN Christmas market hit by a deadly lorry attack earlier this week reopened yesterday as detectives across Europe hunted for the people responsible.
Local police placed concrete barriers by the road nearby to prevent a repeat of Monday’s atrocity, in which 12 people were killed and 48 injured.
German authorities are offering a €100,000 (£85,000) reward for information that leads to the arrest of the man they suspect of driving the lorry into the crowd of Christmas shoppers.
He has now been named as Anis Amri, a 24-year-old Tunisian. There have been wildly conflicting reports of how police settled on Mr Amri, but the latest says that his fingerprints were found on the door of the lorry and his personal papers were inside.
Mr Amri’s brother Abdelkader, who is still in Tunisia, said that his sibling had left the country for Italy following the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings.
He suggested that Mr Amri had been radicalised in prison in Italy. “I ask him to turn himself in to the police,” Abdelkader Amri said.
“If it is proved that he is involved, we dissociate ourselves from it.”
German officials said that Mr Amri, who arrived in Germany in 2015, had been considered a potential threat for some time. He was even under covert surveillance for six months this year.
Germany had tried to deport Mr Amri after his asylum claim was rejected, but couldn’t do so as he had no valid identity documents and Tunisia initially denied that he was a citizen of the country.