THE PEOPLE'S DAILY
FIGHTING FUND
YOU'VE RAISED:
£10232
WE NEED:
£7768
6 Days Remaining

Jul
2017
Monday 3rd
posted by Morning Star in Britain

MORE than 50 applications have been received for funding to protect places of worship against hate crimes in the wake of the Westminster terror attack, the government revealed yesterday.

Fifty-five applications have been made since the security funding scheme reopened on April 3, according to figures revealed by Home Office Minister Sarah Newton.

The scheme closed on May 29, but Ms Newton said late applications were allowed following more recent attacks.

Eligible organisations can now apply for help to provide a range of security measures, such as CCTV and protective fencing.

Sites eligible for the scheme include mosques, synagogues, churches, Hindu temples, Sikh gurdwaras and associated faith community centres.

Ms Newton said: “An independent advisory panel consisting of faith representatives, police and security advisers will meet on July 3 to consider the bids and recommend to the Home Office which bids to take forward.”

She also confirmed that an additional £1 million would be made available for the protection of places of worship.

Funding for 59 places of worship were approved in last year’s scheme, which was open between July and October.

Around £400,000 was awarded to 45 churches, 12 mosques, one Hindu temple and one gurdwara.

The scheme was extended after recent terror attacks at Westminster Bridge, London Bridge and Finsbury Park Mosque in the capital and at the Manchester Arena, where 22 people were killed when a bomb was detonated at an Ariana Grande concert.




Advertisement