KENYAN leader Uhuru Kenyatta was pronounced the winner of last week’s presidential election yesterday, but he said that he expects his opponents to mount legal challenges to his victory.
He conceded that the opposition is entitled to take its case to court, adding that he will consider dialogue with his opponents after the outcome of any court proceedings.
The president was declared the winner of an August 8 election that was later nullified by the Supreme Court.
Opposition challenger Raila Odinga called for his supporters to boycott last week’s vote, calling it a sham.
Election commission chairman Wafula Chebukati reported that Mr Kenyatta had received 7.5 million votes, 98 per cent of votes cast.
The announcement that he was the winner by a huge margin was expected as he faced no significant challenge after Mr Odinga refused to participate.
Mr Chebukati expressed his confidence that the country had conducted a “free, fair and credible election.”
He said that a “fresh team” of election staff had worked on the October 26 presidential election, having said before last week’s vote that he could not guarantee its credibility.
The election supremo expressed his sorrow at the loss of life and property that occurred during the troubled election process.
Police had earlier fired tear gas to disperse opposition supporters who threw stones when a government official visited a school in the Nairobi slum area Kawangware, which has been the scene of unrest linked to last week’s election.
Some students in uniform were seen running in an effort to escape the violence.