FORMER Miami Five prisoner Fernando Gonzalez said on Wednesday the US blockade of his county was doomed to failure.
He hit back at US President Donald Trump’s partial rollback last week of the detente with Cuba — that began with the release of the five from US prison in December 2014.
The Cuban News agency reported Mr Gonzalez’s comments in a speech to foreign students and other foreign residents in the city of Camaguey.
Mr Gonzalez, now president of the Institute of Friendship with the Peoples, said Mr Trump’s announcement of new measures to an audience of “extreme right-wing” Cuban emigres in Miami — including representatives of US-backed terrorist groups — was “disrespectful.”
He said the struggle against the 55-year US blockade — still in force despite better relations — must be intensified, along with demands for the return of the illegally occupied US navy base in Guantanamo Bay.