MORE than 500 refugees continued their sit-in at the closed Australian detention camp in Papua New Guinea yesterday.
That was despite a court ruling on Tuesday that authorities were no longer obliged to supply power, food and water to the camp at the Lombrun navy base on Manus Island.
Papua New Guinea police Chief Superintendent Dominic Kakas said 38 refugees had left the camp since the Supreme Court rejected an application to restore basic services on human rights grounds.
In total, 54 of the 606 men in the camp have departed since it officially shut in October, Mr Kakas said.
“We’re hoping in the next couple of days or so” the remainder will leave, he added.
The male-only camp was declared closed on October 31 based on a Papua New Guinea Supreme Court ruling last year that Australia’s policy of housing asylum-seekers there was unconstitutional.
But the men fear for their safety if they move to alternative shelters assigned to them in the nearby town of Lorengau following threats from local residents.