THE PEOPLE'S DAILY
FIGHTING FUND
YOU'VE RAISED:
£16290
WE NEED:
£1710
2 Days Remaining

Mar
2015
Friday 13th
posted by Morning Star in Britain

ONE of the most senior officers in charge during the Hillsborough disaster denied yesterday taking part in a “cover-up” to blame Liverpool fans for the tragedy.

Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield was giving evidence for a third day at the inquest in Warrington into the deaths of the 96 victims.

Mr Duckenfield said he could not explain his decision not to admit to FA chief executive Graham Kelly that he had authorised an exit gate to be opened, allowing around 2,000 fans into already overcrowded pens.

Questioned by Rajiv Menon QC he said that at the time he spoke to Mr Kelly he was concentrating on mounting a rescue operation.

Mr Menon put it to Mr Duckenfield that there had been a “false narrative” following the disaster which sought to blame Liverpool fans for what had happened.

After pausing to consider his answer, Mr Duckenfield replied: “I disagree. There was no conspiracy as far as I am concerned.”




Advertisement