THE PEOPLE'S DAILY
FIGHTING FUND
YOU'VE RAISED:
£10232
WE NEED:
£7768
8 Days Remaining

May
2014
Saturday 24th
posted by Morning Star in Sport


SUSSEX said it was “extremely disappointed” yesterday after two of its former cricketers were charged with match-fixing.

The club pledged to work with the English Cricket Board to clear up the mess of the latest scandal.

“Sussex County Cricket Club is naturally extremely disappointed with the allegations surrounding the actions of Lou Vincent and Naveed Arif Gondal,” it said in a statement.

“Sussex have worked very closely and co-operated with the ECB anti-corruption unit to help establish the facts of what occurred in the two limited-overs matches during 2011, and will continue to do so.

“We believe that the education available to players and staff and the controls that have been put in place by the ECB and the Professional Cricketers Association put our game in a good position as we move forward.”

Both players have been charged in relation to a 40-over match against Kent at Hove and Vincent faces action over a Twenty20 fixture against Lancashire.

The charges followed newspaper reports last week, disclosing Vincent’s written testimony to the International Cricket Council’s anti-corruption and security unit.

The 35-year-old’s lawyer Chris Morris rejected suggestions that the ex-New Zealand batsman had entered into a plea bargain.

“The charges arise from the matters he has disclosed to the authorities, and he remains accountable for his actions of the past,” said Morris.

“The fact of the charges, and more are likely, dispel any notions of a plea bargain having been done — as unfortunately appears to be wrongly suggested by others.

“Mr Vincent will not be making any further comment on these matters, as they are subject to the disciplinary process.”




Advertisement