THE PEOPLE'S DAILY
FIGHTING FUND
YOU'VE RAISED:
£10232
WE NEED:
£7768
8 Days Remaining

Oct
2017
Monday 30th
posted by Morning Star in World

SOMALIA’S police and intelligence chiefs were sacked by the government yesterday after the second major terrorist attack in the capital in two weeks.

A statement from Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khayre’s office said police chief Abdullahi Mohamed Ali and General Abdihakim Said had been removed from their posts.

The cabinet voted to dismiss the two officials in response to a recommendation by Security Minister Mohamed Abukar Islow.

The decision came hours after security forces ended an overnight siege at a Mogadishu hotel that left 23 people dead.

Al-Shahab guerillas claimed responsibility for the attack, in which five gunmen stormed the Nasa-Hablod hotel after a suicide lorry bomb was detonated outside.

Troops regained control of the hotel yesterday morning, having killed three attackers and captured two alive, said Captain Mohamed Hussein.

The attack followed the country’s deadliest ever terror atrocity on October 14, when a lorry bomb in a busy Mogadishu street killed more than 350 people.




Advertisement