THE PEOPLE'S DAILY
FIGHTING FUND
YOU'VE RAISED:
£5023
WE NEED:
£12977
7 Days Remaining

Apr
2017
Tuesday 25th
posted by Morning Star in Britain

TALKS between Merseyrail and RMT aimed at ending the guards dispute collapsed when the company refused to discuss RMT’s proposed compromise yesterday.

The union is calling for a second safety-critical member of crew to be on board every train and last month staged two 24-hour walkouts.

RMT said it had held off from further strikes and would have accepted recommendations on dispatch and door control from a safety working group — formed of the company, unions, manufacturers and safety agencies — if Merseyrail accepted the principle of a second safetycritical crew member.

Regional organiser John Tilley said: “When we got round the table, there was still nothing on it but the complete abolition of Merseyrail guards.

“Merseyrail’s intransigence leaves us with no alternative but to return to the picket lines.”

Merseyrail’s managing director Jan Chaudhry-van der Velde said he offered proposals for a staff member to be on trains — but only after 8pm.




Advertisement