A social housing privateer has been fined £100,000 for health and safety breaches which led to the death of a 75-year-old man and a 40-year-old man being hospitalised.
Anthony Ironmonger died in hospital on December 17 2007 from multiple organ failure - days after suffering extensive burns in a bath at a Midland Heart hostel.
There were no temperature control valves fitted to taps in the bathroom, the Birmingham Crown Court heard on Wednesday.
Mr Ironmonger, who was partially sighted, had lived at Summer Hill House in Ladywood, Birmingham, for 10 years.
Sentencing the company, Judge William Davis QC said the pensioner's death was a "direct result" of the scalding which happened on the morning of December 6.
Midland Heart was fined £80,000 in relation to Mr Ironmonger and £20,000 in relation to a second man who sustained burns in a bath at another of its properties in 2008.
The court heard that a scheme to fit thermostatic mixer valves on all taps at Midland Heart properties had since been rolled out.
If you appreciated this article then please consider donating to the Morning Star's Fighting Fund to ensure we can keep developing your paper.
Donate to the Fighting Fund here
Fire Minister Brandon Lewis probably had a fair idea what Sir Ken Knight would deliver when he asked him to conduct an "independent" report into fire and rescue services in England.
As LGBT activists worldwide celebrate anti-homophobia day we are reminded of prevailing prejudice
Bradford has seen the launch of a new campaign to battle the sources of child sex exploitation - and combat far-right bids to make it a racial issue