The Welsh government made a major U-turn on Thursday evening with a last minute pledge to stop Wales' poorest citizens losing their council tax benefit.
In December the Star reported that over 200,000 low-earners were set to pay council tax for the first time as a result of cuts to council tax benefit handed down by the Con-Dem government - and most of those affected had already received a bill from their local authority.
But after a volley of criticism Labour Local Government Minister Carl Sargeant announced that £22 million would be sent to local authorities to ensure vulnerable people will not foot the bill.
Finance Minister Jane Hutt said: "This will provide important support to individuals who are facing such difficult times as a result of benefit cuts."
Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood said: "It is welcome news that the First Minister has finally bowed to sustained pressure from Plaid Cymru and has agreed to fund the gap that would have caused the cuts."