Newcastle's youth councillors have urged their elders against an "instant obliteration" of the city's arts and culture under savage spending cuts.
The city remained on tenterhooks today following the end of public consultation on plans to axe Newcastle's entire arts budget by 2016.
The Labour-led council has been ordered to slash £100 million from its budget in pursuit of Chancellor George Osborne's austerity agenda.
But youth councillor Matthew Otubu said on Saturday that the council should distribute the cuts evenly "as opposed to this instant obliteration.
"The dramatic cut to the arts budget jeopardises this region's chances to compete with richer areas less dependent on public services," he said.
Youth and play services responsible for out-of-school clubs and community programmes would also lose all funding, while more than half of the city's 18 libraries would close as well.
Mr Obubu added: "Our leaders seem to want to stand by and let a significant proportion of the next generation flounder without fulfilling the potential they possess. I worry for the future of Newcastle and the future of this region."
Earlier this week campaigners voiced anger after their own councillors' no-show at the public consultation, with not a single elected representative present.
A council spokesman said they had found that "having councillors at events can result in political debates that distract from the issues at hand."
The councillors' final vote is scheduled for a meeting on March 6.