Turkish officials said today that the suicide bomber who attacked the US embassy had already spent several years in prison on terror charges.
Ecevit Sanli killed himself and a Turkish security guard on Friday at the US embassy in Ankara.
The self-declared Marxist-Leninist DHKP/C claimed responsibility for the attack.
Mr Sanli spearheaded hunger strikes against maximum security prisons in the 1990s, leading to the deaths of dozens of inmates.
He was release on probation in 2001 after being diagnosed with a malnutrition-related brain disease.
Authorties said Mr Sanli used six kilos of TNT - enough to blow up a two-storey building - and a hand grenade in the attack.
Radical newspaper said DHKP/C has recently revived its interest in "regional issues" - such as anti-US and anti-Nato stance - and taken on a "more pro-(Syrian President Bashar) Assad position."
If you appreciated this article then please consider donating to the Morning Star's Fighting Fund to ensure we can keep developing your paper.
Donate to the Fighting Fund here
A government guided by common sense would respond to news that publicly owned Royal Mail has increased profits to £403 million by scrapping plans to flog off the service.
Wales TUC president sets out the achievements of Welsh workers over the past year - and looks to the battles ahead
Interview with Jeremy Scahill, author of a chilling new exposé of the US's worldwide war without end