Nick Clegg tried to get a grip on the media frenzy today over allegations made against Lib Dem peer Lord Rennard as party officials were due to meet the Met about the issue.
The Deputy Prime Minister hit out at people trying to "act as self-appointed detectives trying to piece together events" and they should allow the two inquiries he had set up and the police to get the truth.
He added: "In the meantime, I cannot and my party will not provide a running commentary on every shred of speculation about events that happened many years ago."
Mr Clegg was speaking outside his home in south-west London about the allegations which surfaced last week when Channel 4 News featured several women who made claims about "inappropriate" touching.
Lord Rennard is the party's former chief executive and key election strategist.
The claims came days before the crucial Eastleigh by-election on Thursday triggered by the resignation of Chris Huhne.
However Mr Clegg had to face the music earlier this week when he admitted knowing five years ago about the claims regarding the party's former chief executive - after initially denying he did.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "The Metropolitan Police Special Investigations Command has been approached by officials in the Liberal Democrat Party and is working with them to ascertain whether or not criminal activity has taken place."
Lord Rennard strongly denies the allegations.
He said he has stood aside from the Lib Dem group in the Lords to avoid "embarrassment" to the party.