Boxing: Boxing promoter Frank Warren said today that he would sue Ricky Burns following the fighter’s defection to Matchroom Sport.
Burns, 29, was unveiled as the latest addition to Matchroom’s stable this morning but only a few hours later Warren claimed he would seek “substantial damages” from the Scottish lightweight.
Warren claimed Burns is still contracted to him and should remain committed to the postponed unification contest against Miguel Vazquez at Wembley Arena on April 20.
“Since being promoted and managed by Frank Warren, Ricky Burns has earned just approaching three quarters of a million pounds and has had seven world title fights in just over two years,” Warren said in a statement. “Ricky Burns is under binding promotional and management contracts.”
Matchroom chief Eddie Hearn claimed that Burns’s contract with Warren had been ended last week after a termination notice was sent to the promoter.
Nonetheless Hearn had expected Warren to contest the termination, but said Matchroom was in a strong position to counter any action.