Maoist rebels in the Philippines tore up a ceasefire deal with the government today, claiming President Benigno Aquino had reneged on the truce.
The Communist Party of the Philippines and its armed wing the New People's Army called on the Filipino people to "intensify their revolutionary mass struggles and armed resistance."
Their uprising began in 1969 and the December 20 truce, which followed the first talks in more than a year, was due to run until January 15.
But the Maoists said they would stop the ceasefire at noon today as that was when the government's "suspension of offensive military operations" was due to end.
Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said the government would observe the ceasefire until January 15, saying the Maoists were coming up with "stumbling blocks to peace."
In turn, they said Mr Aquino's government had "waged a campaign of suppression" and imposed martial law on peasant communities campaigning for land reform.
The Filipino military says the Maoists have around 4,000, down from more than 26,000 in the 1980s.
The December 20 ceasefire was itself an extension of one declared on December 5 to aid humanitarian work in areas hit by Typhoon Bopha.
The UN said earlier this week that more than 40,000 families are still without emergency shelter kits.
More than 1,000 people were killed by the category-five storm and nearly 850 are still missing.
If you appreciated this article then please consider donating to the Morning Star's Fighting Fund to ensure we can keep developing your paper.
Donate to the Fighting Fund here
Official inflation figures understate the real extent of rising costs, but even the government's own CPI scheme lays bare the ongoing misery for working people and those dependent on benefits.
The Con-Dems have had it their way too long. We have to turn this country around
How high-quality primary schooling could help solve global poverty