Skip to main content

Central America Canada won't recall Cuba diplomats over "sonic attacks"

CANADA insists it will not follow the US in recalling its diplomats from Cuba over increasingly bizarre claims of mysterious sonic or virus warfare.

An anonymous government official told reporters yesterday that eight people connected to the Canadian embassy in Havana had reported symptoms including nausea, dizziness, headaches and nosebleeds last year.

He said they had required treatment but were not taken to hospital and that there was no call to close the embassy.

A total of 27 had medical examinations following US claims that 24 of its staff and their spouses had been made ill by high-pitched noises at their homes or hotels.

The US used the pretext to withdraw 60 per cent of the embassy staff from Havana and expel 17 Cuban diplomats from Washington.

State Department Diplomatic Security Service assistant director Todd Brown suggested on Tuesday that a mystery “virus” could have caused the illnesses.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 6,860
We need:£ 11,140
22 Days remaining
Donate today