Skip to main content

Champions League: Confusion reigns as Portugal confirms border reopening

Fans can travel to Porto for the all-English final — but minister says they only have 24 hours in the country and announces 'bubble' conditions

PORTUGAL has confirmed that it will reopen its borders to British tourists from Monday, but confusion remained today for those hoping to attend the Champions League final.

Manchester City and Chelsea face off in the rearranged fixture in Porto on May 29.

While the travel announcement was welcome news for fans, a Portuguese minister said that supporters attending the game would need to be in and out of the country within 24 hours. They would also be transported to and from the game in a Covid-19 bubble.

The details were not mentioned by Uefa when it announced on Thursday that the all-English showpiece was being moved from Istanbul to the Estadio do Dragao.

Manchester City Offical Supporters Club general secretary Kevin Parker said: “There is no clarity, it is very frustrating.

“Uefa came out with this statement saying how wonderful they were, that the game was going to Porto, and each club were going to get 6,000 tickets, and tickets would soon be on sale. And on that basis everybody started booking their flights and accommodation.

“Then we saw the words spoken by the Portuguese minister yesterday, which came as a shock. Since then Uefa has been very quiet. It’s a nightmare, to be honest.”

A tweet from the Chelsea Supporters Trust also expressed frustration and branded the situation a farce.

Uefa had not commented as the Star went to press.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 11,195
We need:£ 6,805
12 Days remaining
Donate today