Skip to main content

Women's Football Pompey booted out the FA Cup for fielding ineligible player

PORTSMOUTH have been removed from the Women’s FA Cup after fielding an ineligible player during their second-round match against Cheltenham on Sunday.

Pompey had been set for a third-round encounter with fellow third-tier outfit Gillingham after defeating fourth-tier Cheltenham 2-0 after extra time at Westleigh Park.

But a statement from the Football Association today said: “We can confirm that Portsmouth Women have been removed from this season’s Vitality Women’s FA Cup, following the fielding of an ineligible player during their second-round tie against Cheltenham Town Ladies on Sunday 4 April.

“As a result, the tie has been awarded to Cheltenham Town and no further action will be taken against Portsmouth.”

Cheltenham will now host Gillingham on Sunday, with the winner travelling to Arsenal in round four.

Cheltenham chairman Andy Liddle said on the club’s official website: “Football matches should be won on the pitch. Right now I feel sorry for all the Portsmouth players that worked so hard for 120 minutes in a very close game on Sunday.

“A simple mistake has been made here, one that we’ve made ourselves in the past, and it is right that the FA uphold the rules. We’re looking forward to hosting Gillingham on Sunday in round three and it promises to be another cracking match.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 5,227
We need:£ 12,773
18 Days remaining
Donate today