Skip to main content

Industrial Uni boss filmed manhandling students during UCU solidarity protest

UNIVERSITY director Angus Donaldson has been filmed “manhandling” and rugby-rucking students during a protest earlier this week.

Mr Donaldson, who is paid £115,000 a year as director of estates and facilities at the University of Aberdeen, can also be seen to rugby-tackle students in the footage revealed yesterday.

Police were called on Wednesday after a member of staff was reportedly knocked to the ground by students — who were supporting University College Union (UCU) members striking over proposed pension cuts — attempting to enter a campus building.

The university claimed “a group of protesters forced their way into the building, leaving staff shaken and distressed and resulting in one staff member being knocked to the ground and having their head trodden on.”

But members of the group Aberdeen Students Support the Strike said that the footage “clearly shows that the university’s allegations of student violence are unsubstantiated.”

They said the video showed Mr Donaldson “charging head-first into a crowd of students and security staff, ramming students against the fire door they were being told to move away from.”

He had “repeatedly put Aberdeen University students in potential harm,” they added.

“Rather than acting to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and students, Donaldson has behaved in a physically aggressive and escalatory manner.”

A UCU spokesman told the Star: “Many people would be rightly shocked by what they see in this footage.”

Maggie Chapman, the university’s rector, said she was “very concerned” about Mr Donaldson’s behaviour, adding that he “appears to think he is on the rugby pitch, and is trying to clear students off an imaginary ball.

“This might be acceptable in a rugby game, but it is certainly not an acceptable way to treat students.”

She called on the university to “take responsibility for this incident,” pointing out that it had “promised open access to the occupation.”

Ms Chapman said: “If they had kept their agreement and maintained open access to the occupation, none of what is seen in the footage would have happened.”

A university spokesman said: “The university is conducting a full review into the events surrounding the incident of March 14 when a group of protesters forced their way into a university building.

“We will work with staff and students to consider all relevant information, including personal accounts and any other relevant media.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 9,121
We need:£ 8,879
12 Days remaining
Donate today