Skip to main content

Trump supporters planning to ‘storm’ government buildings across the US in armed protests, FBI warns

SUPPORTERS of outgoing US President Donald Trump are planning armed protests and attempts to “storm” government buildings in states across the country, the FBI warned today.

An internal FBI bulletin obtained by US media warned that armed groups intend to travel to Washington DC this week in the hope of repeating last week’s riot on Capitol Hill.

“Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from January 16 through at least January 20 and at the US Capitol from January 17 through January 20,” the bulletin reportedly says.

“On January 8, the FBI received information on an identified group calling for others to join them in ‘storming’ state, local and federal government courthouses and administrative buildings in the event [Mr Trump] is removed as president prior to Inauguration Day.”

Since the Capitol Hill invasion last week, the FBI and police forces across the US have begun identifying and arresting the participants.

Some of those allegedly involved in last Wednesday’s riot are serving and former members of the police and military, including a psychological operations officer.

The National Guard announced on Monday that it would send about 7,000 of its troops to Washington for president-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration following a request from Mayor Muriel Bowse.

Republicans blocked a Democrat attempt in the House of Representatives on Monday to call on Vice-President Mike Pence to declare Mr Trump unfit to carry out his duties.

More than 218 US legislators have committed to vote for the president’s impeachment for “inciting violence against the government of the United States.”

However, Senate Republican leader Mich McConnell has adjourned the upper house of Congress until next Tuesday, the day before Mr Biden’s swearing in, potentially ruling out an impeachment process there.

Following Mr Trump’s lifetime suspension from Twitter last week, the social media company has now barred a further 70,000 accounts linked to the bizarre, far-right QAnon conspiracy theory, which claims that the president is locked in a battle with a shadowy cabal of global paedophiles and devil worshippers.

“If Trump is too dangerous to send out a tweet or a Facebook post, he's too dangerous to be commander-in-chief,” left-wing Senator Bernie Sanders said on Monday. 

“Donald Trump must be removed from office immediately and held accountable for his horrific acts of sedition, violence and chaos.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 11,964
We need:£ 6,036
11 Days remaining
Donate today